I know that I have several followers that offer giveaways on their blogs and I want to share a few things. I have noticed several things that make entering giveaways more difficult in my recent entering. I only enter those that are easy to enter. I am not trying to say that my entries are super easy to follow, but I try to keep things clear and concise and have very few invalid entries because of it. If you are a giveaway blogger, you might want to check out the following points.
- If you are on Blogger, having your comment form embedded below your post OR as a pop-up is much easier to access. If your comment form opens to a new page, an entrant needs to click back and forth to get to the entry requirements. It is a pain.
- This is a HUGE one! If you require a visit to a sponsor link, click to enter on a form, or ask entrants to click to visit you on Twitter or Facebook, it would be very helpful if the link opens to a new page. You can accomplish this in Blogger by adding a simple code to your link by clicking on HTML and adding the bold line. Here is an example:
- <a href=”http://www.xyz.com” target=”_blank”>XYZ</a>. (You will add the bold right after you quotation mark for your link but before the end bracket.)
In WordPress, simply choose to open in a new page when you add your hyperlink, but you can also do the same as above by clicking on the HTML and adding the bold area.
- Requiring people to subscribe and/or follow your blog for the required entry is a great way to get more subscribers/followers, but not necessarily the most honest way. I have no issues with offering those options for additional entries. It is better to have people want to subscribe than to make them.
- Post on the giveaway itself when (time and date) the giveaway will be over. This helps people who are entering your giveaways.
- This is absolutely a personal preference, but if you offer a tweet entry, it is great to either have a tweet function on your blog post to use or offer the entrant a copy/paste option. It is much faster and easier to retweet when that is an option.
- If you do offer multiple entries, please make sure they are clearly defined. It is really hard to ready blogs that have entries in full paragraphs or all running together.
- Please be reasonable with your giveaway entry requirements. Asking entrants to check out a website is fine but telling them to link to 5 items on the site is just plain ridiculous. I know we all want to get the sponsor some face-time but you want people to enter your giveaways, not run because the entries take too long.
- I know there are reasons for CAPTCHA but really people, it is HORRIBLE to enter giveaways with them. If you are going to require a CAPTCHA code be entered, do it from the original comment. Having that pop up after you hit the enter key is just bothersome. Many times, you will lose people who click off the page because they are assuming the comment was accepted when in reality it was getting ready to pop up the CAPTCHA.
I know that may seem like a lot of complaining but I am really not. I still enter giveaways that do some of these things. As a giveaway blogger though, I know what I like and make sure to include those on my own blog. I always make sure my links open up on another page because that is a HUGE pet peeve of mine. If you take nothing else from this post, please fix those links if you are guilty of that one!
What about you guys? Is there anything I can do better to make entering my giveaways easier? Do you have any pet peeves to add to my list?