Disclosure: This post is part of the SPLENDA® 365 SWEET SWAPS ™ blogger program by McNeil Nutritionals, LLC. and The Motherhood, who sent me products and compensated me for my time. Opinions, experiences and photos shared here are my own, and I hope you enjoy them.
I mentioned last week that we are starting on a journey to swap out sugar and use Splenda instead. Being able to enjoy foods with less sugar and calories sounds wonderful to me! I was so excited to get started and then I got sick, then had surgery, and am now so ready to eat something delicious that this post has my mouth watering just thinking about it. I have to thank my husband for helping me with this because I am unable to stand and bake at the moment (due to the surgery) and he has been a huge help in getting this delicious recipe made!
When creating a recipe with Splenda, there are a few things to keep in mind. The Splenda No Calorie Sweetner, Granulated measures cup for cup so can be substituted easily. The Splenda Sugar Blend and Brown Sugar Blend need to be adjusted since it is part Splenda and part sugar. For every cup of sugar or brown sugar that your recipe calls for, just substitute 1/2 cup of Splenda Sugar Blend or Splenda Brown Sugar Blend. It is also suggested to use an additional teaspoon of vanilla extract per one cup of Splenda No Calorie Sweetener, Granulated to enhance the flavor.
Baking times may be quicker when using Splenda. For cakes, check them 7-10 minutes before the original recipe’s excepted bake time. For cookies, brownies, and quick breads, check 3-5 minutes before the original recipe’s expected bake time.
- 1 cup shortening
- ½ cup Splenda Brown Sugar Blend
- ¼ cup Splenda Sugar Blend
- 1½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1½ cups semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 8oz packs cream cheese
- ¼ cup Splenda No Calorie Sweetener, Granulated
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup chopped pecans (if desired)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 9x13 inch pan.
- In a large bowl, cream together shortening, brown sugar, and ½ cup white sugar.
- Beat in the 3 eggs one at a time, then stir in the vanilla. Combine the flour, baking soda, and salt; blend into the sugar mixture. Stir in chocolate chips, and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the cream cheese and ¼ cup white sugar. Mix in the 2 remaining eggs.
- Spread ½ of chocolate chip dough in bottom of the prepared pan. Pour cream cheese batter on top of dough. Sprinkle with pecans. Drop pieces of the remaining chocolate chip batter over filling. Don't worry if there are gaps; the batter will spread.
- Bake for 40-42 minutes in preheated oven, or until lightly browned on the top. Let the brownies cool in the pan before cutting into bars.
This recipe turned out to be as delicious as I was expecting. We will be swapping Splenda a lot more often now! If I can get a taste so good from Spenda, I see no reason not to!
Be sure to visit www.365SweetSwaps.com for some other tips and recipes to help you save calories from added sugar all year long.