There are several things you can do to help the environment right from your own household. Here are some ideas to go “green” in your home. I know some are not practical for everyone but many are.
- Use energy saver appliances. When we bought a new washer, dryer and dishwasher, there was little option other than energy saver appliances. The non-energy saver appliances were there though. If you are shopping for new appliances, make the choice to save energy with your purchase.
- Change your light bulbs to CFLs (compact fluorescent lamp). This is actually going to be a mandated thing soon as the old light bulbs become a thing of the past. Keep in mind that the CFLs need to be recycled because of their mercury content.
- Don’t just turn it off, unplug it! Did you know that 75% of the energy consumed in our homes is from TVs, DVRs, DVD players, computers, etc. while they are OFF? It isn’t a matter of simply turning things off. Unplug them to save energy in your home.
- Start a habit with your children of turning lights off. Lights turned on take up energy.
- Don’t use appliances if you don’t have to. For example, use a clothes line instead of the dryer in the warmer months.
- RECYCLE! This needs no explanation I believe. Recycle all you can.
- Cut back on the paper products. Use actual plates and silverware and wash them.
- Use environment-friendly cleaning products (more on this soon!).
According to a recent poll, one third of consumers believe eco-friendly products don’t work as well as “regular” ones. That’s why Scott Naturals is on a mission to get people to rethink their notion of environmentally friendly products. As the world’s first line of “hybrid” paper products, including bath tissue, paper towels, flushable moist wipes and napkins, the ScottNaturals brand combines the green benefits of recycled fiber with the quality people want, making it easy to take a green step forward. If every American pledged to use Scott Naturals for four weeks, it would save two million trees. Starting on April 4, as part of the “Take the 4-Week Test Drive Sweepstakes,” Scott Naturals began challenging Americans to test out its line of hybrid paper products for four weeks and enter for a chance to win a new hybrid sedan.
There is much more to gain from joining the 4-Week Test Drive than just saving our environment though. Take a look at what you can win! Pledge to take the 4-Week Test Drive between now and September 30th and you could win this Ford Fusion hybrid car!
In addition, with Scott Naturals is donating a dollar (up to $25,000) to the National Wildlife Federation with every click to the 4-Week Test Drive site. Go ahead, click it. You know you want to help the National Wildlife Federation! Also, once you take the 4-Week Test Drive pledge, you can print Scott Naturals coupons for each product.
But wait! There is MORE! Check out what I have to offer you… A box of Scott Naturals products including bath tissue, paper towels, flushable moist wipes, and napkins. There will be a giveaway a week for 4 weeks of this same prize pack so be sure to come back if you don’t win this week!
Here is how to enter:
- For your first required comment, let me know if you co any of the above tips to make your home more eco-friendly or tell me something else you do.
After the first required entry, you can do any (or all) of the following for one entry each (leave a comment for each entry)!
- Subscribe to ToBeThode by Email (must be verified) or Reader. Leave me a comment that you did or if you already are.
- Follow ToBeThode publicly in Google Friend. Leave a comment letting me know that you did or if you already are.
- Follow @ToBeThode on Twitter AND tweet about this giveaway. (You must do both for this entry.) Leave me a comment with your status update! You can tweet once daily for an extra entry. Be sure to come back and leave the URL for your status update.
- Share this giveaway (with a link) with your friends on Facebook. Leave me a comment letting me know that you did. It would be very helpful if you would leave me a link or include @ToBeThode in your update.
- Fan/Like ToBeThode onFacebook. Leave me a comment letting me know that you did or already are. Please include your first name and last initial so I can find you as a fan.
- Fan/Like Scott Naturals on Facebook. Leave me a comment letting me know that you did or already are.
- Follow my blog on Networked Blogs. Leave me a comment with your first name and last initial so I can find you.
Entries will be accepted until 11:59pm (CST) on April 20, 2011. Winner will be drawn by random generator and posted on the Winners page. The winner will be contacted by email and will have 48 hours to respond in order to claim their prize. This giveaway is open for US residents. One entry per household please!